Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
Site 39, Twiltley Branch Campground, Okatibbee Lake, Collinsville MS, Dec 08, 2008
I like this park. If you like camping on the water, this campground is right on the water. Most of the sites overlook the lake and a few are right at the waters edge, and about as close to water level as you want to get. I've been staying on Site 39 which puts me back about 50 feet from the waters edge. Not bad but I might choose one closer to the water next time.
Sites 30 and 38 are right on the water - I could back my rig up to within 5 or 10 feet of the water on either of those two and be practically at water level to boot.
Sites 41 and 42 are out at the tip of a peninsula and while not hanging over the water they do offer about a 270 degree view of the lake.
My only beef is the erratic internet connection over Verizon's Broadband service. It varies. Sometimes the service quite usable - other times it slows to a crawl way below dial-up speeds. Cell phone access if fine and usually when I find decent cell service the broadband is serviceable too. No so here.
Here's the Recreation.gov description of Twiltley Branch Campground
"The Twiltley Branch Campground is located on Okatibbee Lake in Lauderdale County, Mississippi. You and your family can enjoy boating, fishing, swimming, water skiing, camping, picnicking, hunting, hiking, sightseeing, bird watching or nature photography. Twiltley Branch Campground offers 50 sites with electric and water hookups, 11 sites with water hookups, and 3 group camping areas. Additional amenities include hot showers, laundry facilities, a boat ramp, playground, a pay phone, and a dump station. Campground opens at 6:00 AM and closes at 10:00 PM Gateattendants are on duty to let people out in case of emergencies. Security is provided by Corps Rangers, Lauderdale county Deputies, and contract Park Attendants. Patrols are made on a varied schedule."
- This is a quiet, well maintained COE campground with level gravel sites, reservoir views, electric & water
- There is good biking on the park roads
- Most sites are wooded so solar gain is limited for those with solar panels
- Good Verizon cell phone service - Access is via Extended Network, roaming
- No Verizon EVDO service - access is via the Extended Network and service varies from slow to barely useable
- Find other references to Twiltley Branch
- List the nights I've camped here
- Check the weather
- Reserve a site
- Get a map
Nights I've camped here
- Friday, December 12, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
- Monday, December 08, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
- Saturday, December 13, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
- Sunday, December 07, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
- Sunday, December 14, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
- Thursday, December 11, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
- Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
- Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, Alamogordo NM
- Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - Twiltley Branch Campground, Collinsville MS
Brown had in his camp a fine-looking Negro, who said he had run away from his master in Platte County, Missouri, because the man was going to sell him and his wife to a dealer who would take them south to the Louisiana sugar plantations. The average Missouri Negro looked upon being sold south as one or two degrees worse than being sent straight to hell. This viewpoint was fostered by the masters, who always threatened, when things went wrong, to sell them down the river. ...