Towboat Thelma Parker II pushing a load down the Tombigbee River below the Demopolis locks, Nov 23, 2008.
The Thelma Parker II
What a beautiful towboat - ya gotta love the light from those red decks reflecting off the white walls and the under side of roof overhangs above. Here's a short blurb about her I grabbed from Parker Towing Company's page on their vessels.
This 140 foot by 35 foot twin screw towboat was purchased by Parker Towing Company, Inc. in December, 2004.
Built in 1974 by Mainstream Shipyards, Greenville, MS., it is powered by two 16 cylinder GENERAL MOTORS E.M.D. model 645 diesel engines, delivering 3,800 horse power through 3.79 to 1 FALK reduction gears. Originally named the FRANK H. PEAVY while owned by Greenville Towing Co., Inc. It was transfered to William Leasing Company, Greenville, MS in March, 1979 and renamed SHELLY MOTT. Sold in May, 1982 to TPC Transportation Company Inc., St. Louis, MO. and renamed SNO SHEEN. Sold in February, 1989 to Peavey, MS and renamed GREENVILLE. Sold in March, 1996 to American Commercial Barge Line, Jeffersonville, Indiana.
It replaces the original M/V Thelma Parker which was destroyed by a devastating fire while transiting the Tenn-Tom Waterway on October 18, 1998. It is presently in service on the Warrior-Tombigbee River, Tenn-Tom, Tennessee, Ohio, Upper and Lower Mississippi, Intercoastal East Waterways and Mobile Bay.
She appears to be in good hands today.
Site 45 - Foscue Creek Campground, Demopolis AL
- This is a well maintained US Army Corps of Engineers campground with level paved sites, most with full hookups
- Many sites overlook the water of the inlets off Demopolis Lake on the Tombigbee River
- There is good biking on the park roads
- The campground is pretty full Thanksgiving week and is generally booked solid the weekend of the Demopolis Christmas on the River festival in early December.
- Poor Verizon cell phone service - access is via Extended Network, roaming
- No Verizon EVDO service - access is via the Extended Network and service varies is slow but reliable
- Only 3 miles to Wal-Mart and other services in Demopolis AL
- Find other references to Foscue Creek
- List the nights I've camped here
- Check the weather
- Reserve a site
- Get a map
Question: What advice do you have for aspiring writers?