Meramec State Park, Sullivan MO
Camped at Beymer Water Recreation Park, Lakin KS, May 4, 2010
- The Missouri State Parks website introduces the park with: "The beauty of the Meramec River and its surrounding bluffs, caves and forests have pleased visitors since the park opened in 1927. In 1933, the craftsmen of the Civilian Conservation Corps began blending a variety of visitor facilities into the park's rugged landscape."
- Verizon cell phone is weak.
- Verizon Broadband service is available here with an amplifier.
- Locate Meramec State Park on my Night Camps map
- Check the weather here
Nights I've camped here
- Sunday, November 14, 2010 - Meramec State Park, Sullivan MO
- You'd recognize this Common Selfheal as a lawn weed if you saw it but I just had to mess with this one. It's that pesky little square stemmed perennial with the cylindrical terminal spikes of purple to blue flowers. After flowering the stems elongate and hold the dead terminal spikes waving aloft for the kid to come by to shoot the cat with the little missiles. Image: Common Selfheal, Red Rock, East Chatham NY, July 17, 2010.
- Saturday, November 13, 2010 - Meramec State Park, Sullivan MO
- Spending so many hours traveling and thinking about traveling gets old after a few days. St Louis and the Mississippi are behind me. This is a nice park. It's quiet here. The sun is shining. The river is running. I think I'll stay an extra night and settle some mud. Image: Suspended Animation, Spider Egg Sac, Red Rock, East Chatham NY, July 20, 2010.
Many scientists revere and study the speed of light, but what is the speed of darkness? What is the speed of the unseen? Darkness is already everywhere at once, and light is but a momentary interruption.
Caught in Fading Light: Mountain Lions, Zen Masters, and Wild Nature, Gary Thorp