Santa Rosa Lake State Park, Santa Rosa NM
Morning at Site B4, Santa Rosa Lake State Park, Santa Rosa NM, May 10, 2012
Santa Rosa Lake State Park is located on the shores of a Pecos River Reservoir about 7 miles north of Santa Rosa NM. This park offers quiet camping among the junipers and boating and fishing in the reservoir.
- Verizon cell phone and broadband service - fair signal if a bit slow
- Go to Santa Rosa Lake State Park website
- Locate Santa Rosa Lake State Park on my Night Camps map
- Check the weather here
Nights I've camped here
- Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - Santa Rosa State Park, Santa Rosa NM
- Pulling out of the Flying C Ranch gas station off I-40 this afternoon I bounced over a bump a little too aggressively. Now I find stuff falling off the walls in the trailer. Aaargh... Image: Morning at Site B4, Santa Rosa Lake State Park, Santa Rosa NM, May 10, 2012.
I remembered hearing of a backcountry Park Service ranger who was cleaning up after dinner one evening when he heard a chilling scream. He ran out of his cabin in time to see a mountain lion standing with a dead deer next to her. The lion saw the ranger and bounded off. The ranger realized this might be a rare opportunity to closely observe a mountain lion, so he stationed himself a short distance away from the deer carcase. He sat in absolute silence, and listened closely as night deepened. After sitting in darkness for well over an hour, he gave up hope of the lion's returning and stood up. In the powerful beam of his flashlight, he could clearly see that the dead deer was no longer there. ...
Caught in Fading Light: Mountain Lions, Zen Masters, and Wild Nature by Gary Thorp