Santa Rosa Lake State Park, Santa Rosa NM
Morning at Site B4, Santa Rosa Lake State Park, Santa Rosa NM, May 10, 2012
Santa Rosa Lake State Park is located on the shores of a Pecos River Reservoir about 7 miles north of Santa Rosa NM. This park offers quiet camping among the junipers and boating and fishing in the reservoir.
- Verizon cell phone and broadband service - fair signal if a bit slow
- Go to Santa Rosa Lake State Park website
- Locate Santa Rosa Lake State Park on my Night Camps map
- Check the weather here
Nights I've camped here
- Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - Santa Rosa State Park, Santa Rosa NM
- Pulling out of the Flying C Ranch gas station off I-40 this afternoon I bounced over a bump a little too aggressively. Now I find stuff falling off the walls in the trailer. Aaargh... Image: Morning at Site B4, Santa Rosa Lake State Park, Santa Rosa NM, May 10, 2012.
As the poet Gary Snyder said so well, "Beyond all this studying and managing and calculating, there's another level to nature. You can go about learning the names of things and doing inventories of trees, bushes, and flowers. But nature often just flits by and is not easily seen in a hard, clear light. Our actual experience of many birds and wildlife is chancy and quick. Wildlife is known as a call, a cough in the dark, a shadow in the shrubs. You can watch a cougar on a wildlife video for hours, but the real cougar shows herself only once or twice in a lifetime. One must be tuned to hints and nuances." After more than thirty years of living in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada and spending a great deal of that time out-of-doors, Snyder has seen the mountain lion on just a few occasions. One of these sightings was most unusual. Gary had been visiting a neighbor and was walking down from the nearby ridge to his home when he observed a cougar sitting near one of the windows of the house. The animal appeared to be listening intently as one of Snyder's stepdaughters practiced the piano.