Sumac, Home Farm, Red Rock, East Chatham NY, May 29, 2009
Adding to my Home Farm Series series
On my property off Less Traveled Road - The Home Place, Red Rock, East Chatham NY
- I used to camp in a few locations on what little I had left of the family farm
- In the driveway by the house
- Across the road where the barn once stood
- On the 20 acre piece off Less Traveled Road
- Now, with the kind support of the friends who now own the place, I camp across the road where the barn once stood.
- Verizon cell phone service - Terrible, barely usable with an amplifier
- Verizon EVDO service - Terrible, barely usable with an amplifier
- Find other references to Home Place
- List the nights I've camped here
- Check the weather here
My sisters have been listening to me all my life and vice versa, and there's a limit to how interesting we find each other. Which is one of the reasons, surely -- this is exactly the kind of thought that didn't come up in conversation -- that it is at least as stifling as it is comforting to be with family. It doesn't allow its members to experiment with themselves. The penalty for being loyally accepted for the whole of your life is that you must stay what you always were.
Almost There: The Onward Journey of a Dublin Woman, Nuala O'Faolain