SEARCH References



Propane safety, usage, tips, techniques and supplies

  • Operating Propane Appliances Safely
    • Approved and properly adjusted appliances are very important. Improper flame adjustment (which you can detect by a yellow flame at the burner tip) is dangerous. With adequate ventilation, an operating burner gives off mostly harmless products such as carbon dioxide and water vapor. However, a propane appliance starved of oxygen can quickly produce dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide and may result in asphyxiation.
  • Refueling Propane Cylinders and Tanks
    • Procedure for refueling propane cylinders and tanks.
  • Propane Cylinder Capacities and Estimating Propane Consumption
    • Tables of average propane cylinder capacities, the properties of propane and unit conversions for estimating propane consumption.
  • Changing Propane Cylinders
    • Procedure for changing propane cylinders.
  • Propane Cylinders and Tanks
    • Propane is sold and stored in containers that, when properly filled, contain about 80 percent liquid. The remaining 20 percent of space above the liquid contains propane vapor. It is this vapor that burns in your appliance when mixed with air. DOT cylinders and ASME tanks are different. And all propane cylinders are not alike. The differences are important.
  • Propane Two Stage Regulators
    • National code requires a two-stage regulator on RVs. The second stage of the regulator receives a relatively uniform pressure from the first stage, which helps the second stage maintain appliance pressure at a nearly constant 11" W.C. A two stage regulator also greatly reduces the possibility of freeze-ups.