Kitchen countertops and sinks
Zinc is a non-ferrous metal. It's color is similar to silver. Unlike stainless steel, zinc will oxidize and patina, moving from a lustrous silver, to a blue-gray over time. It has been used for hundreds of years in Europe as a material to clad table tops, countertops, bartops and similar items.
Spekva offers a wide range of wood countertops, shelves, and undermount sinks for kitchen and bath. Available in many species, thicknesses, edge treatments, etc. Including a black lab stain. Herringtons (800) 453-1311 has a display in their Hillsdale, NY and Lakeville, CT showrooms.
Here's a list of some manufacturers of solid surface countertops:
|Coni Marble Mfg.||519-461-0100|
|Continental Stone Designs||707-575-1130|
|Cornice Mouldings & Trim||916-891-4404|
|DM Industries||800-VITA SPA|
|Door Company/Barber Cabinet||317-247-4747|
|DuPont Company Corian Products||800-4CORIAN|
|Hartson-Kennedy Cabinet Top Co.||800-388-8144|
|International Cast Polymer Association||703-610-9034|
|International Paper Company||800-223-1268|
|Woods Quality Cabinetry Co.||412-228-3040|
Trespa says their TopLab PLUS is :
- Chemically resistant.
- Heat resistant. It can be continuously exposed to temperature up to 284° and it can withstand short-term (20 min.) exposure of up to 356°.
- Easy to clean. TopLab PLUS has minimal joints, reducing the risk of contamination and simplifying cleaning.
- Machinable. It can be worked liked hardwood, and it is easy to incorporate drip grooves, sinks, cupsinks and fixtures into the lab design.
- Hygienic. The smooth, non-porous surface of TopLab PLUS does not support the growth of bacteria or fungi, and micro-organisms cannot penetrate its core.
- Stain resistant. TopLab PLUS is extremely resistant to most histological and microscopical dyes and stains.
- Easy to decontaminate. TopLab PLUS panels are suitable for radio-labelled compounds and are easy to decontaminate.
- Moisture resistant. TopLab PLUS is highly resistant to humidity and suitable for such wet environments as botanical research labs and sink area installations.
Terry and I found in testing his sample, by sanding the surface finish off the back to achieve a natural matte look, that it develops a fairly strong unpleasant odor when wet and concluded it is unsuitable for use in the kitchen (at least upside down with no finish).
Rachiele offers custom stainless and copper sinks.