Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - Davis Mountains State Park, Fort Davis TX
I was going to spend a day or two in Alpine but got a bit out of sorts over a slow gas pump and a grumpy propane attendant and headed on up to Davis Mountains State Park only to discover a hold on my credit card, I'm going to guess from using it at two gas stations within 10 minutes of each other.
Then the site assigned to me by the whacky park ranger turned out to be too short and sloped for comfort. I'm still out of sorts and grumpy too. Bleeeeh....
At least the deer are still friendly.
- This is a nice, well maintained campground with level gravel sites with electric & water, and some with full hookups
- There is good biking on the park roads and hiking trails in the hills
- Good Verizon cell phone service - Access is via Extended Network, roaming
- No Verizon EVDO service - access is via the Extended Network and service is slow
- Find other references to Fort Davis
- List the nights I've camped here
- Check the weather
- Reserve a site
- Get a Google Street View and a map
Personally, I've never been normal. But what I've only recently discovered is how much damage being made to feel I should be has done over the years. This is a revelation of the highest order and unspeakably liberating, once you've processed the accumulated side-effects.
from a Grack column by John H Farr, August 25, 2003