Sources of Metals and Metalworking Supplies
"Model Engineer is the premier UK model engineering magazine. It has been published for over 100 years. Content includes constructional articles, interesting articles on engineering related topics and many other varied subjects about models and model engineering."
"Model Engineers' Workshop is a relative newcomer, first published in 1980. It is much more concerned with machines, both manual and CNC, tools, methods and processes. Historically, it does not include articles on the construction of models. It usually contains drawings for the construction of a machine, a tool or a machine accessory."
Metals Tools and Supplies
- Holleander - Speedrail etc. handrail fittings
- adimetal.com - Aluminum Distributing Inc - a source of aluminum pipe and Speed Rail fittings
- Rigidized Metals - patterned sheet "the world leader in textured metals"
- Aircraft Spruce - has many supplies and hardware useful to the tinker
- Di-Acro makes what appear to be excellent small benders, shears, and finger brakes.
- Northern Tool - tools, hydraulics and tractoring supplies
- MSC - more than a machine shop supply house MSC has TONS of tools, supplies, steel stock etc.
- Aircraft Spruce - many supplies and hardware useful to the tinker
- McMaster-Carr - industrial supplies
- Henrob - pistol grip style gas welding and cutting torches
- Power One - industrial supplies and metalworking tools
Smithy Granite G-1324 - I'm considering going to a 3-in-1 machine to replace my current mill/drill and Southbend lathe as part of a program to downsize the footprint of my shop. This machine is attractive to me because it will accept my existing tooling. This light industrial machine has an R-8 mill head taper and a Camloc D1-4 lathe spindle. There is a Bison backplate available to mount my 6 jaw set-tru Bison chuck to this lathe.
The Grizzly G0516 Combo Lathe w/ Milling Attachment looks interesting too.
Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
For extensive information on mini lathes and mini-mills see mini-lathe.com.
Metalworking tips and ideas
See How to Make Springs for some basic spring making and tooling information.
Society of American Silversmiths - A Metals Workshop Safety Report: Safety and Substitutes is a great article on safety in the studio with many common sense guidelines that apply equally as well in any workshop.